Monday 1 August 2011

Ukur Baju Di Badan Sendiri

A couple of days ago, had an impromptu mother-daughter talk.

I queried mother how she and father survived financially while at the same time managed to provide more than enough for us siblings.

She also often tell stories of buying jewelleries for her mother, sending money home, buying furnitures for her parents when she just started work. Mind you, at the same time she had to also pay for her own car, house rental, food, gas, etc.

Both the parents are government servants by the way. Not corporate persons by any means. I remembered growing up, we were treated with good food, pretty wears (internationally branded) and (good) hotel holidays, locally and internationally. But there were also days I remembered throwing tantrum wanting something(s) soo much but the parents just ignored. They didn't pamper us. They provided enough. They even managed to save us monies for OUR rainy days.

Here I am, a government servant too albeit husband is in the private sector. Combined income, we can't even afford to do half she and father achieved at our age. I still cannot afford to buy mother jewelleries, let alone buying furnitures. But Alhamdulillah, we manage to give some monthly contribution to the parents. It has always been my intention to give back to my parents if not all but some that they've invested in/for me.

So, mother let the secret out. Back then, when they didn't have much, they made do with what they have. They lived on their own. They scouted cheap furnitures at furniture exhibition which lasts until now. They eat in. They didn't splurge. They only had my eldest sister after three years into marriage. The first 3 years, they saved.

What's important, she said "ukur baju di badan sendiri". She wasn't influenced by anyone. She pretty much did her own thing. Followed her own pace. Their own pace.

Thank you mother for the priceless advice. This is just one advice out of the many she's given. She's a pandora of experience.

On the 31st of July 2011, they turned 34 in marriage life. Out of 34 years, I witnessed 28 years of it. They like others are not perfect couple. But they've been nothing but good role models to the siblings and I.

Now, the father is passing good vibes to syam. The same he told syam when he told me when I was 12, "travel the world as it will open your mind".

Couldn't ask for a better family, dramas and meltdowns included. Alhamdulillah.

5 comments:

Sasha Lyna said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt224G3c6WE&feature=player_embedded

babe, one of the other reason that its soo hard for us and its different than before...save..save..save... ;)

The Spasmodic Scribbler said...

Your mother is so right.

Spend within your means. If you can't afford it, don't go and have it. That's what I always do. Some people ask me how did I manage to save enough money to afford a house at such a young age?

Thru savings.

Didn't buy unnnecessary things like new clothes (only if need to) or new handbags. I only bought the necessary, pay my bills and that's it.

Try reading this book:

"The Richest Man in Babylon"

My favourite book on personal financial planning. The tips are very practical and easy :)

shueyshoelove said...

Sha: not so much different. Yes, things were cheaper so was the lesser salary. Aku nak save je bermasalah. Haih.

TSS: thanks for the tips doll. My will is not too strong in the savings department. More often than not I succumbed. Thanks for the book advice. Will definitely check it. Btw, I've e-mailed you my house address. Didja get it?

Haneesa said...

like you once said, our parents are probably BFFs or something because my parents are EXACTLY like yours.

i feel blessed that we have such wonderful and wise parents who pass down so much wisdom to their children.

whether or not we follow their advice... well, of course that is a separate matter altogether. ;P

at least we now know how to do it when we get the "calling" to be prudent kan?

take care babe and selamat berpuasa :)

shueyshoelove said...

Nisa: lol. Yes. Sometimes when u write, it feels like I'm in ur head or something. Totally could relate to your writings. Haha. U too. Selamat berpuasa!